Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Death Bell Will Toll

If you clicked on this to read because of the title, you're morbid and that's why you're my friend. 


Unfortunately, Tim and I are headed to Ohio for the second time this year because someone passed away.  This time it's for Tim's grandma.  She's been sick for awhile now with dementia and Alzheimer's.  Everyone knew she wouldn't be with us too much longer but it's still sad.  She was a wonderful woman and extremely kind and caring.  I remember when I was dating Tim we would have dinner with his grandparents regularly on Sunday afternoons.  She was always interested in what was going on and made the most fantastic food...from scratch.  Her servants heart never let her sit down at the table!  She was constantly making sure we had everything we needed.  Seeing her decline so swiftly in the past couple of years was difficult.  


But here is the good news.  She's in heaven and no longer in pain.  Right now her mind is sharp as a tack and so we will be celebrating her life, reminiscing with happy stories of her life on this earth.  Grandpa Fitch always has a story to tell even if we've heard it a few times or a few hundred.  We always laugh like we haven't heard it before.  I remember when my grandma passed away earlier this year.  The family was together and that rarely happens so we had fun.  Even during the visiting hours as guests were coming through giving their condolences we were snickering about who knows what.  I'm sure some of the people walking through were appalled at our nonchalant attitude.  It's not that we weren't sad but we knew where she was.  


A picture of my grandma.  Wasn't she grand?

During my grandma's funeral people talked and talked about how absolutely wonderful she was and I believe them.  I'm sure we will hear the same sentiments this weekend about Grandma Fitch.  It makes me wonder what people will say about me when I pass.  I don't aspire to be a legend.  But I do hope for happy memories and not just all bad ones.  I don't expect some people to show up.  The girl I punched in the stomach when I was 8 (disclaimer: she asked me to do it) or the girl who's hamster I dropped and killed.  I've definitely made a few enemies but I'm also pretty lovable too so people forgive me often which is a good thing.  But I seriously do think about what impact I have and realize there isn't much so now I'm at a juncture where I think about what I can do to change that.  I don't have an answer yet.  But I'll start small at first.  No reason to get crazy. 


Hamster killer,
Sarah

3 comments:

  1. So... I don't know how or why, but I am following your blog as myself and as a cartoon. Yeah. Well, I do love you quite a bit, so I guess I'm ok with following you twice. ;) Hope you guys have a safe & memorable trip, Gut-punching Hamster-Killer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the recipent of Grandma Fitch's servant heart. I remember the same thing about her not sitting down and enjoying the meal when we were. Grandpa is going to miss her soooo much even tho he has not been able to really talk to "her" in a long time. As soon as I saw Grandma's picture I lost it, but you are correct in saying that we had a good time during that difficult few days. It is called the peace of God, knowing that we will see them all again. Love ya honey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha hamster killer. Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete